OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, March 10

First Grade, Grammar, Set Two

  • We are working on Capitalization Rules. I found a concise list of rules or standards on-line. I do not plan to cover all the rules this year. So far we have covered:
    • First word in a sentence
    • Pronoun I (but we call it "the word I" since she had no idea what a pronoun is)
  • It is really easy to find free printable worksheets on-line for learning Punctuation and Capitalization.
  • Since a field trip was on one of the days we were working on capitalization, on the drive home we looked for capitalized words -- we found that street names, city names, business names, restaurant names, church names, hospital names have capital letters.
    • At times we had to really search because a lot of signs have ALL THE LETTERS CAPITALIZED.
  • I introduced "naming words" (nouns) this week. The first day we wrote down the names of five people, 5 places, and 5 things. I was surprised that for the people, she didn't just write names, but things like: fireman, postman, etc.
  • The second day we worked on naming words, we were at the aquarium. I had written the alphabet on a sheet of paper and we tried to find something there for each letter. We got all of them except for I, Q, X, Y, and Z.
  • We started learning where to put commas. (March 24, 2012 and Sally said, "Wow!")
  • Another day we learned that commas separate words in a series. I introduced this by pulling out our picture cards and adding some "comma cards" and an ", and" card. We then used the picture cards to make a sentence with a series, and inserted the commas.
The parrot ate a banana, pear, and fish.
The workman had a band aid, bolts, a nut, workers, and a toolbox.
  • I had planned on having K. play a syllables game on Learning Games for Kids this week, but we lost our internet connection (long story), so instead I got out the children's dictionary (to find words) and wrote the words on pieces of paper. Then K. cut the words up between the syllables.

  • This week we we reviewed Captialization, Punctuation, Syllables, and Naming Words.

No comments:

Post a Comment