OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, May 26

Evaluation of Set Three

  • Bible -- this set we really have fun learning our verses. We made up some actions to go with the verses. I've been able to refer back to our Little Pilgrim's Progress story regarding things going on in her/our lives. Monday we had to go to a hospital I hadn't been to before. I was told the cross streets and basic directions. In the car, K. spontaneously began praying that we wouldn't get lost -- and we didn't! When we go to the park, she will say to me, "Help me remember to be a good friend." So we review the things we have learned in the Friendship book.
  • Writing -- I've decided that working on one project for five weeks, isn't our 'cup of tea'. K. enjoys drawing the animals, and since we were doing ocean animals this last set, and we have already learned about the ocean, she added her own backgrounds with lots of different sea creatures we had learned about.
  • Spelling -- K. is doing great with spelling, but I've got to remember to ask her a few times during the week how to spell the two additional words (that she misspells in in writing). She enjoys these occasional worksheets and is learning how to do crosswords and word searches.
  • Grammar -- the books from the library about Antonyms, Synonyms, Similies, Onomatopoeia, and Adjectives really made this set of weeks fun, interesting, and lively. Through these books, games we played, and the occasional worksheet, K. has a great grasp on these concepts.
  • Reading -- Mondays continue to be for silent reading. We are also working on pronouncing words completely and correctly. For instance, make sure the t's in 'little' get pronounced, etc.
  • Math -- although she prefers addition, K. has gotten well acquainted with the subtraction side during this set. She seems to be starting to picture the equations in her head instead of using manipulatives all the time.
  • History -- the crafts/activities we did this set were fun. It is getting easier to find books that are on her level for this time period, which is nice. K. likes to act out the things we read, so I've been trying to incorporate that into our day, also.
  • Science -- we got our issue of Nature Friend this week. K. was looking through it and came running to me, "Look, Mom, a tarsier!" She also wants me to make up stories about jaguars and poison dart frogs, and she talks about bromeliads, so I know learning is happening.
  • Fine Arts --  We are staying with one biography and one story book about each composer, but I try to pick up a few cds of their music. I've been putting classical music cds on a various times.

No comments:

Post a Comment