OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, April 28

Second Grade, Grammar, Set Three

  • Listening Skills
    • I found an idea on line to make a sheet of paper with pictures of seven different fruits and vegetables printed on it. Then I have K. seven two-part instructions, such as, draw a line from the apple to the pear and color the pear yellow.
    • I found a picture on line with instructions. These were three-part instructions, and she did really well.
    • We did one more listening skill activity. I found the idea online, but made up my own pieces and instructions, as theirs were just too detailed for a second grader. Here is the picture.

  • Sentence Structure
    • We added punctuation at the end of sentences and decided if the sentence was a statement, command, question, or exclamation.
    • I had K. draw a line between the who and what of sentences.
    • K. told whether "sentences" were complete or fragments.
  • Mechanics
    • I used Child's Own
      • Comma, pages 157 - 161
      • Apostrophe, pages 163 - 164
      • Contractions, pages 164 - 165
  • Writing Skills
    • Senses Chart -- one day we took a banana and wrote down words for how it smelled, looked, felt, sounded, and tasted. The next day we did the same for a bowl. Then I had K. write a simple paragraph about the bowl from her chart.
  • Writing Project
    • Shape Poem
      • I picked up the book, Doodle Dandies: Poems that Take Shape by J. Patrick Lewis at the library. One day we read the book.
      • Another day we googled "shape poems" and looked at the images of all the different shapes of poems.
      • The other two days we made shape poems. I discovered that the best way to do this is to print or draw with a very heavy outline the shape you want. Then put a piece of clean white paper over the paper with the shape. Tape them together so they stay together easily. In the picture below, K. wrote a poem around the teddy bear shape and then drew the features of the bear inside.

  • Study and Reference Skills
    • I found a unit study online called Dazzling Dictionaries Unit.
      • One page I used has the child use the dictionary to (1) find correct spelling, (2) find the meaning of words, (3) find a synonym, and (4) find the plural spelling of words.
      • The second page has twenty words for the child to put under the correct guide words. K. and I discovered that for one set of guide words there was only one word. The guide words were folk / fool. The words that I think they had planned to go under them were: food, for, foot, and foolish. However, food is really the only word that actually belongs. I had K. look in our dictionary and write three more words that were between folk and fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment