OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Monday, June 17

Second Grade, Grammar, Set Four

  • Parts of Speech
    • I printed out a couple sheets of people doing things (biking, calling, jumping, etc.) we talked about what the first one was doing. Then we talked about how we would say it if we were talking about the person doing it yesterday (biked, called, jumped). If they are doing it now, we call that present tense. If they did it, we call that past tense. We went through one sheet of activities writing the present and past tense of each activity. We completed one sheet on two different days.
    • Another worksheet had a crossword puzzle of present tense verbs
    • I wrote out a handful of sentences and had K. change them from present to past tense.
    • We took turns changing the verb tense in a poem.
    • Books we read:
      • Kites Sail High by Ruth Heller
      • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute by Brian P. Cleary
    • We used the book Winter Days in the Big Woods (My First Little House Book series) to review proper and common nouns, plural and singular nouns, present and past tense verbs. I read a page then asked K. to find (for example) three plural nouns.
      • We used an Amelia Bedelia book to review in the same way.
    • We reviewed pronouns by using pictures to make sentences, then exchanging pronouns for the nouns in the sentence. Below is the sentence: Henry shot an arrow at the rabbit and the deer. Which gets changed to: He shot at them. (Looking at it now, it should have been, He shot it at them.)
    • We played the Bag Game to review nouns, adjectives, verbs, and prepositions. We played it differently. First we spread out the word cards and then we each made a sentence (of course, every words of the sentence isn't there), but each sentence had to include at least one noun, verb, adjective, and preposition. After reading our sentence, we told what parts of speech each word was and put them in their appropriate bag.



  • Writing Projects
    • Research report -- K. decided to learn and write about penguins. We looked on the computer card catalog to find out where to look for books about penguins. Then we went to the library and were able to find five books that were interesting to her.
    • I wrote each of these categories on a sticky note and put each on a different envelope.
      • My home
      • What I eat
      • What I look like
      • How I am born
      • What eats me
      • How I protect myself
      • Fun facts
    • Then K. wanted to add
      • What I do
    • I had her pick one of the books. We take turns reading a page or paragraph and then she decides if there is anything important to remember. We write it (not in complete sentences) on a 3 x 5 card and put it in the appropriate envelope.
      • With the rest of the books, I'm letting K. just read them (or we read them together) and when she is all done, think of two new things she learned and make cards on them. We have been doing one book a week. She will finish up any unread books during this week of vacation.
    • I decided to have K. write the report in the next set of weeks because we want to take her to the aquarium to see penguins before she writes her report.
    • We have started reading the book The Secrets of the Rock by Phyllis Perry. Through a story, the author teaches basic research skills. We are reading two chapters each week and then duplicating the research done in the book. The author has written two other books for younger elementary students to learn research skills (Fribble Mouse Library Mystery), and two books for older elementary students (WHAM Agency Library Mysteries).

No comments:

Post a Comment