OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, August 6

Kindergarten, Math, Week 27

Monday
  • We reviewed our addition facts. I discovered that I needed to make it more of a game for K. I tried a few different things, and finally found this solution.
    • I lay out a set of the facts
    • As she matches the answers to the problems
    • I write out the equations and answers
    • Whoever finishes first, with all answers correct, WINS!
    • Match your speed of writing to your child's speed of matching, in other words, write slowly enough that your child can win MOST of the time.
    • For prizes, I bought a bag of trail mix (nuts and dried fruit). I put a very small amount (about 20 pieces) in a bowl. Whoever one the set got to pick and eat 1 piece. The person who won the most times got to eat the extra pieces. I have put the trail mix away, so it isn't for common consumption, and (1) will be a special treat when we do math facts and (2) will last a LONG time.
  • We also practiced adding money.
    • I pulled out my bag of coins
    • K. took out a hand full
    • I had her separate them into their kinds
    • Then she counted the total value
    • We did it 3 times. The values were $1.13, $1.12, and 14¢
Tuesday
  • Game: Fast Track from Games for Math -- the purpose of this game is memorization of math facts.
  • You'll Need: game board, math fact cards, a marker for each player, counters to help solve problems (when needed)
    • Game Board
      • I opened up a notebook folder for the game board.
      • Draw a track around the folder.
      • Divide the track into at least 37 compartments (squares)
      • Label 3 squares "START" and 3 "WIN"
      • Label every square with directions such as: double move, lose a turn, go ahead 2 spaces, go back 3 spaces, move to Start, draw again, stay put, go ahead 3 spaces,
      • I let K. decorate the middle of the game board.
    • Math Fact Cards
      • Cut up index cards or manila folders
      • Write one math fact you are working on memorizing on each card
      • On most of the cards leave the answer blank, such as: 2 + 3 = [ ]
      • On some of the cards leave the second number blank, such as: 2 + [ ] = 5
  • How to Play:
    • Each player puts their marker on one of the starts (every one can pick a different start)
    • First player picks up a Math Fact Card and supplies the missing number
    • Player moves that number of spaces and does what the square they stop on says to do
    • Next player picks us a Math Fact Card . . .
    • You win by landing on a "WIN" square.
    • K. likes this game so much that we keep playing even after someone wins. The last time we played, she won twice and I won once before we stopped
    • She is having difficulty figuring out the missing number second number. If the equation was 2 + [ ] = 4, then we put out 2 shells, and I had her add shells until there were 4. How many did you have to add? (2) So 2 + 2 = 4
    • You can see this example at the top left in the picture below.

Wednesday
  • We practiced our Math Facts
  • Game: What Did I Do? -- See Math, Week 26 for instructions
Thursday
  • Game: Fast Track -- See above for instructions
Friday
  • We practiced our Math Facts
  • Game: Uno Math -- I'm sure this game isn't original with me, but I don't know where it came from
  • You'll Need: deck of  Uno cards
  • How to Play:
    • Remove all the non-number cards from the deck and put them in a pile
    • Divide all the number cards evenly among the players
    • Pick a number (until you teach subtraction, the number should be 9 or higher) we used the number 10, so for this example I'll use 10
    • Players take turns putting down 2 (or more) cards that equal 10
    • For example: a 9 card and a 1 card, or a 7 card and a 3 card. On one of K.'s plays she put down one 5, three 1's and one 2.
    • When the cards a player is holding can not be used to make the number, they take one of the set aside non-number cards and tell what number it would need to be. For instance, if a player has a 6 card, but no 4 card, they pick up a non-number card and say it is a 4.
    • The first person with all their cards gone wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment