OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, July 21

First Grade, Reading, Set Five

We are deviating from our original schedule to read the book The Story of Flight by Mary Lee Settle. This is a Step-Up Book, copyright in 1967. K. is interested in flight since learning about the Wright Brothers for her Science Fair project. Most of the chapters are just a few pages, but the longer ones I have divided.
  • Poster Words (Games for Reading pg 6) -- K. has been having a difficulty remembering how to spell her middle name, so we made a poster of it. I cut out or collected her name in different fonts and mediums. Then she glued or stuck them on and added some decorations to make a very pretty poster.

  • Jigsaw Sentences (Games for Reading pg 67) -- we did four sentences, then mixed them up and made new sentences.
  • Finish a Fairy Tale (Games for Reading pg 152) -- I wanted to use fairy tales K. had not heard before, so I picked up The Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales from the library. I marked the places I wanted to ask "what do you think happened?" in The Flying Trunk ahead of time.
  • Taking Turns (Games for Reading pg 148) -- we played this with sentences for reading, but later in the day (when K. was bored and I was feeding my mom) we used it to tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment