OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, July 21

First Grade, Writing, Set Five

In addition to Draw Write Now,
  • Alphabet Book (Games for Writing pg 166) -- K. didn't want to use any describing words for her alphabet, but she is using the front and back of each page, so we will go back later and use the last half of the book for describing words.
  • Read for the Fun of It by Bauer has a section titled Picture Books as Story Starters. It features a five page list of books to share with your child, with suggestions for something to write or tell. For instance, we read Nature Walk by Florian. This book is about some children see as they take a walk through the woods. The suggestion is "A City Walk". After reading the book we took a walk around our block, noticing lots of things. When we got home, K. wrote down what she could remember.
  • Egg Carton Tales (Games for Writing pg 134) -- I took the time during the planning week to change some of the "problems" and "settings" so the game would be fresh.
  • Writing to Form (Games for Writing pg 139) -- I took the story from an old text book, re-typed it, substituting blanks for some of the words.
  • Alphabet Code (Games for Writing pg 98) -- this time we just wrote the letters of the words on paper. It is a little harder this way than using letter cards, but makes a great game for a waiting room. I kept the words for K. to four letters, but her words for me went to five and six letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment