OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, September 8

First Grade, Math, Set Six

Games, activities, books, and web sites that enhanced our learning:
  • I divided our Triangles into five sets of about 11 cards. Each day we review one set. If K. can get through the set before the timer goes off (2 minutes) then she gets to put a sticker on the calendar. The sticker seems to be enough incentive to get her to try; each set of cards seems to be small enough that she doesn't get an "this is going on forever" attitude; the 2 minutes seems to be short enough to challenge her, but long enough to make it possible.
  • Reviewing Place Value:
    • We played Three Pots (Games for Math pg 152)
    • Using UNO cards, we each took three cards and made them into the largest number possible. I had put a marshmallow in a small bowl. The person with the larger number got to take the bowl. The person with the bowl on the last turn (when we ran out of cards) got to eat the marshmallow. This also reviews Greater Than and  Less Than. Another day we played, but made the smallest number possible.
  • 10 More/Less and 100 More/Less:
    • I wrote a 3 digit number on a piece of paper. Then I flicked the spinner. K. had to write the number it told her to write (either 10 more or less or 100 more or less). Then it was her turn to write any 3 digit number and spin. Then I wrote the new number. I discovered I needed to pull out the manipulatives as she didn't remember how to figure out the new number.
  • Reviewing First/Next/Last and Before/After:
    • Find a Penny (Games for Math pg 52) review "before" and "after"
    • I took some pictures I had glued on circles and spread them out. I picked one (picture of dog getting a bath). I said, "First, Bowser went outside. Next, he played in the mud. Last, Susie gave him a bath." Then it was K.'s turn to choose a picture and tell a little story using the words "first, next, last". Listen for errors. For instance, once K. said, "First, Sally and her mom went to the hot dog stand. Next, they got some raisins." That sounded a bit weird to me, so I asked where they got the raisins. She told be they got them at home. She revised her story.
  • Addition
    • If You Were a Plus Sign by Trisha Speed Shaskan -- a fun book that talks about different kinds of addition problems
    • Animal Word Problems Starring Addition and Subtraction by Rebecca Wingard-Nelson -- right now all we did was read some of the word problems and solve them, but the book goes into the different methods of solving word problems. This will be a book to use more thoroughly another year.
    • Addition Made Easy by Rebecca Wingard-Nelson -- this is a really good book, and I'm thinking about buying a used one. It explains the different properties of addition, explains regrouping and carrying, it goes into rounding, money, time, and word problems. This book is in a series called Making Math Easy.
    • Here are links to a couple fun addition games
    • We worked on renaming in addition problems all week (week 4). We started out using the mat and working each problem with manipulatives, and by the end of the week she did need (or want) to use them. We just did about six problems each day.
    • Adding and Subtracting Book 2 by Ann Montague-Smith -- This is a really good book. It is colorful and fun. Each page has an activity or game to increase your child's understanding of addition or subtraction. We did the activity on one page of this book each day this week. I wanted to renew it and use it during our break next week, but there was a hold on it -- so I've requested it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment