OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, February 2

Second Grade, Grammar, Set One

  • I introduced the concept of Common and Proper Nouns.
    • First, I wrote "Noun" at the top of a paper. I asked K. if she remembered what a noun was.
    • Then I wrote "Person - Place - Thing" underneath "Noun".
    • Under that I wrote "Common Noun" and "Proper Noun".
    • On the left side of the paper I wrote the sentence: We went to the city.
    • On the right side I wrote: We went to Cerritos.
    • Then we talked about city being a common noun and Cerritos being a proper noun (a specific person, place, or thing).
    • Next, I wrote: "sister" and "Debbie" in the center of the paper. I asked her which was common and which was proper and drew arrows from each word to the left (common) or right (proper) side of the paper.
    • We did the same thing with: "fireman" and "Fireman Jones".
    • Now it was time to Play a Game:
      • I had 14 cards with common nouns written on them. We mixed up the cards and laid them on the table.
      • We took turns turning over a card and giving a proper noun for each common noun.
      • Example: If I turned over "park", I would give the name of a specific park, such as "Rynerson Park".
      • Here are all the card words: park, street, place, holiday, book, language, day, month, city, school, person, church, state, country
  • We talked about Singular and Plural Nouns. Theses terms were new to her, but we have talked about "-s means more than one" many times.
    • First I wrote "Nouns" at the top of the page.
    • Under that I wrote "Singular & Plural".
    • I asked K. if she knew what those words meant.
    • On the left side of the paper I drew one cat. On the right side I drew two cats.
    • I wrote "cat" by the one and "cats" by the two, and explained that singular means one and plural means more than one.
    • Now it was time to Play a Game:
      • We took turns writing either singular or plural words.
      • The other person would illustrate the word.
      • Example: She wrote "butterfly" and I drew one butterfly. I wrote "stars" and K. drew five stars.
  • I introduced Pronouns.
    • I used Child's Own, starting at page 41. It talks a bit about pronouns, then it has a story where they use no pronouns, but they want the child to give other words for the repeated words.
    • Example: Billy said, "Billy wants a lollipop." You replace the second "Billy" with "I".
    • We made a list of the words we replaced -- the pronouns.
  • We learned about Homophones -- words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings.
    • Game:
      • We made a matching game by putting a word on one card and a picture on its match.
      • Example: A card with the word "blue" and another with a blue octopus. A third card with the word "blew" and a fourth with a girl blowing bubbles.
      • Some words (to, for, our) aren't easily pictured, so we put the meaning on some (meaning belonging to us) or the part of speech (a preposition).
  • Friendly Letters
    • I showed K. the form friendly letters should follow (you can Google this if you need to be reminded -- I did).
    • Then she wrote a letter to thank a friend for a present.
    • She will be writing a letter each week until she has written all the "thank you's" from her birthday.
  • Sentence vs. Fragment -- a complete sentence is a complete thought; it has two parts who/what and the action.
    • I started by writing "The big green frog" and asked K. if that was a complete thought. She told me no. I asked her to complete the sentence. She wrote "jumped on the tiger".
    • Next she wrote "The tiny fish" and we decided that wasn't a complete sentence. I added "swam around the bowl".
    • We took turns going back and forth this way.
    • Another day I took a bunch of word cards and we made sentences, showing that complete sentences had the two parts.
    • The last day we went back to the sentences we wrote down and K. drew a line between the subject and the action.
  • Capitalization
    • The first day we completed a worksheet.
    • Game:
      • I took the game board we made and a spinner with numbers 1 - 4. Player 1 dictated a sentence to Player 2. If player 2 capitalized correctly then she got to spin and go that many spaces. Then the roles were switched.
      • The second day we played this I printed out a couple worksheets because thinking up sentences made the game drag a bit. Maybe it depends on the age of the players.
  • Writing Instructions
    • I gave K. a choice of writing how to make the bed or how to set the table. She chose setting the table. However, her instructions were very short. Example: Put plates. Put knives. Put forks. Put spoons.
    • She wasn't being receptive to my instructions, and it was lunch time. After we ate, I had her read what she wrote and I acted it out. "Put plates." Well, it doesn't say where, or what size of plate, or how many, so I just put a stack of dessert plates on a chair. Then she worked through rewriting her instructions bit by bit to get something that was usable. "Put one dinner plate on the table at each place a person will sit." We went through each step of setting the table like that. We were able to laugh and have fun while she corrected her work.
    • The following day we used the thesaurus to replace all the "put"s with place, set, stick, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment