OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, February 2

Second Grade, Bible, Set One

Week One:
  • This week we sang A Child of the King.
  • We memorized Exodus 20:1-3. I wrote the verses on construction paper cut in the shape of stone tablets. On Friday, I gave her an extra one and had her illustrate something about the verses. K. drew the Israelites being delivered from Egypt.
  • Searching for Treasure: each day we did a reading and answered the questions. The first day I read the passage from the NKJV. I decided that I was going to have to spend a lot of time explaining what words meant, so I got our New Life Version and we are using it. We take turns reading. I'll read the odd number and she reads the even number verses.
  • We have started Spy for the Night Riders about Martin Luther in the Trailblazer series by Dave and Neta Jackson. We are reading one chapter a day.
  • One day a week we review our catechism.
  • We have started a new page in our prayer journal.
  • We continue to review the passages we have memorized in kindergarten and first grade in the car.
Week Two:
  • This week K. chose Tell Me the Stories of Jesus for our hymn.
  • We memorized Exodus 20:4 and 7a
  • I read Exodus 1 - 6 to her from the NKJV Bible. I had pictures from the stories for K. to color while I read.
  • Searching for Treasure: this study is going very well. K. is really listening to the scripture and being able to answer the three or four questions each day.
  • We only have two more chapters in Spy for the Night Riders.
  • We reviewed our catechism on Wednesday.
  • We are adding more items to our prayer journal.
  • We didn't go anywhere this week, so we didn't review our memory passages. Hmm, maybe I need to re-evaluate this method.
Week Three:
  • This week we sang A Shelter in the Time of Storm for our hymn.
  • Our memorization was Exodus 20:7b, 8, and 12
  • We did lesson nine in Life Lessons from the Princess and the Kiss. The discussion was that "keeping your kiss" doesn't just have to do with keeping your kisses for your husband, but also means to guard your heart and how your senses are the doors to your heart. One day I read Mrs. Rosey-Posey and the Chocolate Cherry Treat since it goes right along with being set-apart and keeping your life pure.
  • Searching for Treasure: we are learning much about wisdom. I'm glad I found this book, and that we are going at this slow pace.
  • We finished Spy for the Night Riders and started The Queen's Smuggler about William Tyndale.
  • We didn't review our catechism until Friday.
  • We already have some answers to prayer!
  • We were out two days this week, so we did get some review done.
Week Four:
  • Our song this week was I'll be a Sunbeam. K. thinks she would like to sing it at the graduation program this year.
  • We memorized Exodus 20:13 - 16
  • Searching for Treasure: in the Bible we are reading from it uses the term "strong words" instead of "reproof". This morning I was telling K. that she needed to put the books away properly. I was speaking in a quiet, stern manner. She said that she didn't like it when I spoke to her like that. I sat down and put my arm around her and asked her and asked her if she thought I was using "strong words". She said yes. I then was able to remind her that the wise person learns from strong words but the fool hates them.
  • We are continuing to enjoy The Queen's Smuggler.
  • We reviewed our catechism on Wednesday.
  • We have added more prayer requests.
  • We were home all week, so we didn't review.
Week Five:
  • Living for Jesus was our song this week.
  • Exodus 20:17 completed our memorization of the 10 Commandments
  • We learned Catechism #78, 80, and 81
  • Searching for Treasure: we are having lots of conversations about being a wise girl instead of a fool.
  • The Queen's Smuggler has gotten very exciting!
  • We reviewed our catechism on Wednesday
  • We are continuing to pray each day.
  • We were able to review two passages this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment