OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, August 4

Second Grade, Grammar, Set Five

  • Mechanics & Sentence Structure
    • Punctuation / Capitalization / Types of Sentences -- we read and did the activities in Child's Own, pages 150 - 153a. This has you learning about "stop" and "go" signs in sentences, then capitalizing words and putting punctuation in a story.
    • I downloaded a supplemental curriculum called Punctuation Theater. It teaches the use of periods, exclamation marks, question marks, and commas by using percussion instruments when the punctuation should appear in sentences. It has a lot of sample sentences to work through (because it is made for a classroom) so I was only going to do some of them, but K. wanted to do all of them.
    • I found a story in an old book that had plenty of opening phrases and extra information. I read the story and K. underlined the opening phrases and extra information.
  • Writing Projects
    • I let K. pick an envelope (the information she gathered about penguins). Then we work together to write a paragraph.
      • All the paragraphs are written. We will do the editing and publishing during our week off.
    • Book Report
      • K. picked the book A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond. I am having her make a book jacket as her book report. I took the jackets off about six books and we looked at what was on them -- illustration, author, illustrator, a paragraph to interest a person in reading the book, etc.
  • Writing Skills
    • Step-by-Step Chart -- K. wrote the five steps for getting cereal ready in the morning
    • Story Map -- K. filled out the form -- the characters, where the story takes place, the beginning, middle, and end of the story.
  • Speaking Tips
    • We talked about speaking in front of a group
      • Look at the audience
      • Smile before you start, and while you are speaking
      • Talk to the person in the back row so you speak loud enough
      • It is important to speak clearly
    • Here are a couple books you might want to look at:
      • Speaking Up, Speaking Out by Steven Otfinoski
      • Speak Up! by Patricia Sternberg

No comments:

Post a Comment