OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, August 4

Second Grade, Reading, Set Five

We are reading the Bob Jones 3-1 reading book now. I found a spinner to use for asking questions about a story. The spinner is divided into eight parts. In each part there is a question. After each story, K. answers four of the questions.
  1. Who are the main characters?
  2. What is the main idea of the story?
  3. What are the problems or conflicts in the story?
  4. What is the solution to the story?
  5. What would you do if you were one of the main characters?
  6. What is an important detail in the story?
  7. Where does the story take place?
  8. How did the story end?
Comprehension Skills
The comprehension skill in this unit is building vocabulary. I didn't think any of the activities in the book were applicable to us, so we are looking for new words every day, finding out the definitions, and making a list of the words.

From Games for Reading:
  • Puzzles -- K. and I started a 250 piece puzzle. We have the frame done. (5th week) We have finished the puzzle. I had to hide it under a couch to keep my husband from finishing it!
  • Recipe -- K. made corn muffins for dinner one night from a box of Jiffy mix. This really is a good reading exercise. She had to read the instructions, understand them, and follow them in order.
  • Tell a Tall Tale of Your Day
  • Problems and Solutions

No comments:

Post a Comment