OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Monday, April 28

Third Grade, Spelling, Set Two

I discovered the activities I was creating for K.'s climbers, although fun, were not really helping her learn to spell the word and were taking a lot of time to make. So, I have changed tactics. When I give her the pretest, I write her climbers on the page for her to copy. Then I have her put dots between the syllables and we talk about what the word means. On another day, I write the word in large letters on a scrap sheet of paper. We observe things about the word, such as:
  • patterns of letters; did you know that "imitate" has a VCVCVCV pattern, and the first two vowels are "i" and the last two consonants are "t"?
  • find smaller words in the word; "use" in "amusement"
  • see if we can make at least 10 words (with 3+ letters) from the letters of a word; "resurrection" -- sure, rest, ties, cure, etc.
She will also trace the word with her finger and write it in cursive. This method seems to be helping K. learn to spell the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment