OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, January 17

Intentional Togetherness - August, 2015

I've just finished reading Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl by Dannah Gresh. In the book she uses the term "parent-child connectedness" and defines it as being closely bonded by common traditions and frequently occurring activities, or intentional togetherness. I scored pretty high on the Connection IQ quiz, but there are a few areas I need to work on.

One is talking about Kim's inner strengths. If I step aside and look at myself, I see that a lot of the time I act as if I have blinders on. Going through the day, seeing only the finish line. Not stopping to look around, delight in my surroundings, and enjoy Kim at this moment. I've tacked up a note to myself, "How did Kim surprise me today?"

Another area I need to work on, is to tell Kim stories about my childhood. I feel like the stories from my childhood are rather boring compared to Richard's. I never caught a snapping turtle in the creek or tried to start the lawn on fire. I pretended the drinking glasses were a choir and the living room rug was the ocean.

Then there is, "spend at least half an hour a week doing something we both enjoy". That would be reading or watching a video or eating or swimming. I'm exposing her to different handicrafts, hoping she will decide at least one is really fun and pick it up as a hobby.

Lastly, when Kim has friends over, I need to play with them sometimes. I usually view this time as an opportunity to do something I want to do because what they are playing just does not look like fun. I need to change my attitude and appreciate that Kim is still pretending and role-playing and appreciate the opportunity to get acquainted with Kim and her friends on another level.

I'm so thankful that God's mercies don't fail and He is faithful because I know I'm going to mess up and need His mercies to be new every morning. What are you working on changing this year? Remember that since God's mercies new every morning, each day is a fresh opportunity to rely on His mercy and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment