OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Thursday, May 27

Betsy's Little Star

We finished Betsy's Little Star by Carolyn Haywood a couple days ago. Now I am re-reading the chapters K. liked best.  This book is about Star, who is 4 years old at the beginning of the book and so not quite old enough to start kindergarten in September when all her friends do. In the last two chapters Star turns 5, her birthday is December 24th, and she starts kindergarten when school starts back up in January. In between Star had some wonderful adventures.

Carolyn Haywood writes such good books! You will find mention of Sunday School, prayer, God, and scripture in her books. However there are a few things to watch out for:
  • Most of her books have a chapter on Halloween. In the 1950's when these books were written Halloween was just something everyone did. I remember I was in 5th or 6th grade when Christians started saying "What is Halloween and should we be involved?" (that was the mid 1970's). Since we haven't discussed Halloween yet and K. isn't reading yet, I just change wording as I go along so they are having a costume party.
  • Most of her books have Santa Claus in them. Depending on the content, I either change wording or skip the chapter.
  • The children have a lot of freedom. Star, at 4 years old, was allowed to go around the block and cross streets by herself. Again, in the 1950's that may have been okay, but today?

No comments:

Post a Comment