OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, May 30

The Four Year Old Game Plan

I wanted to do something a bit more scheduled when K. turned 4, but I didn't want to have a whole school day. I decided that 30 minutes a day would be just right. I planned this 'school time' between two other activities so that I couldn't go past the 30 minute limit.

On Mondays we have Social Studies.
  • We are learning the names and locations of the states.
    • I put a large map of the US on a bulletin board.
    • For 26 of the states we have OLD View Master reels. I used yarn to map the trip through these states. We look at the reel and then move our car to that state and add a picture of something we saw in the reel.
    • For the last 24 states we will use books from the library to look at pictures about each state.
  • We are learning about our world.
On Tuesdays we have Science.
  • I found the book Science Experiences for the Early Childhood Years (7th edition) at a second hand store. There are 4 to 8 experiments for each topic, plus activities to integrate each topic into math, music, literature, etc.
  • It depends on how interested K. is in a subject as to how much we do. I thought she would be very interested in Plants, but she wasn't, however, she was captivated with Water.
On Wednesdays we have Writing.
  • I discovered Peggy Kaye's Games for Writing at the library. Part One of the book has eleven activities that teach pencil control and telling well-organized tales. This is the only part of the book we are using until K.'s pencil control is ready for writing letters.
On Thursdays we have Math.
  • The math section in Down on the Farm is a country store where K. uses pennies to purchase groceries. She picks her groceries, puts out the number of pennies for each, then counts all the pennies.
  • I found more activities at Bringing Learning to Life.
  • Part One of Games for Math by Peggy Kaye has games for counting, size, shape, patterns, and more.
On Fridays we have Reading.
  • We practiced our phonics. K. enjoyed learning a phonics song. You can find lots of them on You Tube.
  • Using clip art I made some worksheets for matching pictures to their beginning letter. (If you'd like these you can e-mail me.)
  • Now we are reading three letter words. I made rhyming word lists. A page for each short vowel. As K. sounds out each word we use it in a sentence or talk about what it is because reading isn't just about sounding out groups of letters, but understanding the meaning of those groups of letters.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea. I've been hearing about "homeschooling without books" a lot lately, in other words not sticking to a regimented list of state mandates and curriculum maps. Many moms seem to have better results because the children are enjoying learning, which is what it's all about.

    I like the idea of focusing on a subject a day. Keeps them from getting overwhelmed and burned out.

    I'm trying to gather ideas and activity books now so I won't be so rushed when "d- day" is finally here. I really love this new site! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete