OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Monday, May 31

What's the Point?

Homeschooling I often need to remind myself of Cynthia Tobias' question, "What's the point?" Point being defined as aim, goal, desired outcome.

Here's an example: Sometimes we have work pages. You know the kind, five letters down the left side of the page and five pictures down the right side. The child is to draw a line matching the letter to the picture of the object that begins with that letter. Simple, right?

I'm not sure if it is normal or abnormal children that draw a single straight line from letter to object, or maybe it is children who are (or were, like me) conditioned in a classroom situation that is the way it must be done, but K. never learned that, so she likes to make her lines wander about a bit before ending up at the desired destination. It isn't that she doesn't know where to draw the line, she'll tell me before she starts her line, this is just more interesting, or something.

Now, it is easy for me to get frustrated because it is much simpler, faster, easier, etc. to draw a straight line. So that is when I need to step back mentally and ask, "What's the point?" Is the point on this worksheet to be able to draw a straight line? No! The point is that she knows 'apple' starts with A and 'elephant' starts with E. Does her wandering line show that? Yes! So we've come to a compromise. It is okay for lines to wander, but each line must be a different color so I can easily tell what was matched.

Then next time you start to get frustrated, step back and ask, "What's the point?" It may save you and your child some unnecessary frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment