OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Friday, July 30

Phonics, Step 4

Now that we have completed learning the blends, I wrote a story and used clip art to illustrate it. After K. has read it a few times we will be on to learn the clusters.

I've grouped the clusters this way:
  • ar, er, ir, or, ur
  • ch, sh, th
  • aw, ew, ow, oo (as in spoon)
  • oy, oi, ou, oo (as in book)
  • ing, ang, ong, tion

Children know how to say these clusters -- they use words with them all the time -- however, they don't know what letters make the sounds. Using this reasoning, this is how I'm introducing the clusters (I'll use 'ar' in this example):
  1. Show a picture of a car and ask K. what it is.
  2. K. tells me "car"
  3. I write "car" next to the picture
  4. We sound out the word: k - ar
  5. I bring attention to the sound of 'ar'
  6. We use the letter cards to build more words which contain 'ar'. Here are some examples: hard, card, far, jar, mark, lark

If I want K. to have more practice:

  • I can write the words we build on a sheet of paper for us to review.

  • To spread phonics over the whole week, and since she enjoys cutting and gluing, I can also write the words on a paper (or each on a card) and K. can find pictures of the items and glue them next to the word.

  • Another idea is to write some sentences K. can read after each group of clusters is learned. They might be silly like "Her car is full of fur." K. could illustrate the sentences.

After learning the clusters there will be another book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment