OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, February 5

Kindergarten, Math, Week 2

Monday we played our Identifying Numbers Game.
  • I have a chart, numbering 1 through 100 (in order)
  • We count out 30 markers (you can use pennies, buttons, whatever)
  • I say a number and K. puts a marker on that number
  • We go until the 30 markers are used up
Tuesday we played our Hot/Cold Game.
  • I got this game from Free Folder Games
  • There are a stack of pictures and K. puts the "hot" things in a pocket that reads "HOT" and the "cold" things in a pocket that reads "COLD"
  • You could also do this on your computer. Just put 20 or so pictures from clip art on a page, put the word "HOT" to one side and the word "COLD" to the other and let your child drag the pictures to the correct word.
Wednesday we played Shape Lotto.

Thursday we worked some more with Symmetry. I was at a loss of what to do, so I Googled "Symmetry Lessons for Kindergarten" and found KindergartenLessons.com.
  • I took a large piece of black construction paper and taped a dowel rod down the middle.
    • Using Tinker Toys and blocks I made a design on one side of the dowel rod.
    • K. copied the design on the other side. Then we switched and she made a design for me to copy. We went back and forth this way a few times.
  • Next, I took a small white piece of construction paper, folded it in half and we put some small globs of different colored paint at the fold. We folded the paper back up and smoothed it out to spread the paint around. Then we opened the paper back up and let it dry. We talked about both sides being the same.
  • Last, we stood in front of the mirror and I held a long stick down the center of her body vertically and asked if it showed symmetry. Then I put the stick horizontally at her waist and asked if that middle line showed symmetry.
Friday we played the Identifying Numbers Game again, only I had her count out the markers and put them in groups of 10. I introduced the idea that 3 groups of 10 is 30 and we counted by 10s (10, 20, 30).

No comments:

Post a Comment