OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, July 3

Kindergarten, Math, Week 23

Monday we played with Estimating Capacity
  • Over the weekend we had purchased one of those "milk cartons" of Whoppers, so I decided it would be fun to use them.
  • I poured the Whoppers into a bowl, then I pulled different sizes of empty containers out of the cupboards: Will the Whoppers fit into this container?
  • I let K. guess, then we poured the Whoppers into the container to see if her estimate was right.
  • After doing that 5 - 10 times and she was estimating correctly, I told K. to find 1 container that the Whoppers would NOT all fit in and one container they would all fit in.
  • I had planned on stopping with that, but she wanted me to find 2 also, and to do it a couple more times. Then she was tired of it and we quit.
Tuesday we were on Number Patterns
  • Game: Spin a Number, see Math, Week 21 for instructions
Wednesday we practiced Counting On
  • Game: Grasshopper, see Math, Week 19 for instructions
Thursday we worked with Graphs
  • This time we were making a bar graph to compare two things.
  • My original plan had been to count things at two different grocery stores, such as, kinds of apples, blue cars in the parking lot, flavors of jam, brands of margarine, kinds of cheese, brands of crispy riced cereal. However, K. wasn't able to go to the grocery store with me, so I came up with plan B.
  • I took two patriotic Ideals magazines and we looked for the
    • flags
    • statues
    • fireworks
    • liberty bells
  • K. used one color for the first magazine and another color for the second magazine.
  • We ended up with this chart:

Friday we worked on Place Value
  • Game: Fifty Wins, see Math, Week 20 for instructions

No comments:

Post a Comment