OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, July 23

Kindergarten, Math, Week 25

This set of 5 weeks, we are working on Addition.

Monday
  • We used manipulatives to help K. understand the concept of addition.
    • I have Unifix Cubes (I bought them 16 or so years ago), but you can use beans or paper clips, etc.
    • I wrote an equation (2 + 2=) on a paper
    • K. illustrated it with the cubes and told me the answer
    • I finished the equation (2+2=4)
    • We did this with ten simple equations
Tuesday
  • Game: Make Ten from Games for Math -- this game will help your child understand how addition (and subtraction) works
    • You'll Need: 1 playing mat for each player, at least ten markers (paper clips or beans) for each player, a spinner
      • Make the playing mat by drawing a long rectangle on a piece of paper (if you want it to last longer use tag board), then divide the rectangle into 10 sections, and number them, from left to right: 1, 2, 3, etc. to 10
      • The spinner needs to be numbered 1 through 6
    • Rules: The first person to fill all ten spaces on their playing mat wins. Player #1 flicks the spinners and puts that many markers on their playing card. Then the next player does the same. Continue play until there is a winner.
      • While you are playing talk about "How many more do you need to fill your card?" and "I had 2 then I got 4 more, now I have 6. I need 4 more to fill my card."
    • For Subtraction, start the game with the card full and remove the number you spin.
Wednesday
  • We did manipulatives, just like on Monday, only this time K. and I took turns writing and illustrating the equations.
  • K. had to make sure my math was right, and gave her practice writing numbers and equations.
  • We did a total of 10 equations. It just so "happened" that we did all "2+" equations.
Thursday
I don't believe in flash cards. There were too many tears associated with them when I was in school and when I started using them with my oldest daughter. I made up this game after trying flash cards for a bit with her.
  • Write equations in vertical form on a piece of paper (you can use index cards or whatever you have)
    • I cut up old manila folders and used pieces that were 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" for the equation and 1-1/2" x 1" for the answer.
  • I wrote an equation (2+1) and put it on the table for K. to illustrate and solve.
  • When she told be the answer, I wrote it on a card and she put it under the equation.
  • We did this for all the "2+" equations. 2 + 0 through 2 + 10
  • Next, I divided the eleven equations into 3 groups (4, 4, and 3) I set out one group of equations and gave K. the answer cards separately.
  • She had to match them correctly.
  • Then I took those away and set out another group, etc.
  • I folded a #10 envelope in thirds to keep the groups separate.
Friday
  • We reviewed Location Words.
  • I hid an object (could be big or little -- a piece of cereal works well) then gave K. directions to find it: right, left, up, down, under, over, in, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment