OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, April 21

First Grade, History, Set Three

In addition to Child's History of the World, we used:

After reading chapter 48:
  • Medieval Society by Kay Eastwood -- we took two days to look through this book, mostly reading the bold print and picture captions.
  • The Medieval Knights by Louise Park and Timothy Love -- we used this book to look at what knights wore
  • The Knight at Dawn by Mary Pope Osborne -- I thought I'd give the Magic Tree House series another try. I've requested the nonfiction study guide for this book. Maybe it will make the book more educational.
After reading chapter 49:
  • Vikings by Allison Lassieur -- I found some coloring pages of viking boats and such on the intenet and printed them off for K. to color while I read. This book is simple and quick to read, but gives good information.
  • Leif Eriksson by Shannon Knudsen -- this is an "On My Own Biography", so uses simple text and full page illustrations
  • Technology in the Time of The Vikings by Peter Hicks -- this is another book that we used mostly for looking at pictures, however it has a handful of crafts for children to make.
    • This week we made Viking Biscuits pg 11. They turned out okay -- my husband actually liked them -- but while making them, I had the feeling that the person who wrote the recipe didn't make them because the dough didn't act anything like what the recipe said it should be like. This is what ours ended up looking like.
    • We made a Viking Longboat out of poster board.
    • We sewed a Viking Woman's Cap. (K. really likes this, and has decided to use it for a night cap, wearing it to bed.)

After reading chapter 50:
  • Come to the Castle by Linda Ashman -- this book has great illustrations and tells about the jobs of different people who lived in a castle in thirteenth-century England
  • The Story of a Castle by John S. Goodall -- this is a picture book traces the life of a typical English castle from the 1170s, when it was built, to the 1970s, when it is opened to the public
  • Castle, Abbey, and Town: How People Live in the Middle Ages by Irma Simonton Black -- this book has informative text, but also stories. I read a few paragraphs from the introduction and then the stories to K.
  • Knights & Castles: 50 Hands-on Activities to Experience the Middle Ages by Avery Hart -- we made the Rose Petal Bread. I used my own bread recipe and we just painted the tops of the loaves. I made yellow, blue, and green. I divided one egg white into three bowls and added 2 drops of food coloring to each bowl. I would suggest trying red instead of blue because after baking you can't really tell a difference between the green and the blue.
My loaf

K.'s loaf

After baking

No comments:

Post a Comment