OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, April 21

First Grade, Reading, Set Three

We played these games to enhance our learning:
  • Linking Words (Games for Reading pg 102) -- we played this for about ten minutes during lunch one day. We were allowed to use the dictionary if we couldn't think of a word. I couldn't think of words that started with the 'n' sound, so K. kept giving me words that ended with 'n'! This was a really fun game, and I'm sure it is one that we will find ourselves playing in the car.
  • Pick a Blend (Games for Reading pg 126) -- we enjoyed this game and found ourselves laughing over the funny sounding words. The only problem was that one of the word endings on K.'s card didn't have a blend that made it into a word, so I declared that we both won.
  • Chain Game (Games for Reading pg 130) -- start with any word (we used rain) and try to make a chain of words all the way down a page of lined paper by just changing one letter on each line. You can add or remove a letter, also. (rain can become train, flame can become fame). There were times I gave suggestions, but many times K. ignored by suggestions and came up with her own. The only difficulty we had was that she kept wanting to change AND add a letter, which is against the rules.
  • Mystery Words (Games for Reading pg 131) -- we started with three letter words, but that was too easy for K., so after a couple rounds, we went to four letter words. I hadn't ever thought about all the words that can be made from the letters "D, O, N, E": on, no, one, nod, node, and done, which finished our game.



  • Story Words (Games for Reading pg 142) is a good choice to play in the car. The three words can com from things you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment