OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, June 9

First Grade, Grammar, Set Four

  • I found a couple good FREE websites with printable activities for leaning Location Words (prepositions). Busy Teacher and Free Language Stuff 
    • Where Is Mortimer? by Karen Bryant-Mole
    • If you were a Preposition by Nancy Loewen -- I only read through page 11, because after that it starts teaching about prepositional phases and we aren't that advanced yet.
    • Snail Trail by Ruth Brown
    • Under, Over, by the Clover: What is a Preposition? by Brian Cleary
With this game you make up a sentence (with a location word)
about the picture when you land on the square.
Example: The monkey is between the trees.
  • I am using short stories to teach how to Skim and Scan a story. When you skim, you look for the general idea of the story. When you scan, you are looking for specific information.
  • To review Action Words, Naming Words, and Describing Words, I am making my own Mad Libs from stories in a 1960 Reader called Merry-Go-Round. I choose words to leave blank and ask K. for an action, naming, or describing word. When we are through, we read the story and laugh at the silliness of it. I print out two of each story, so K. can go back and write a sensible story, too.
  • I added in our Review Game this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment