OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Monday, October 22

First Grade, History, Set Seven

Resources we used along with Child's History:
  • Life as a Knight by Rachael Hanel -- okay, I found one more really interesting book about knights. This is an interactive history adventure, so you get to make choices which affect what happens to the knight. There are three stories in the book, one about a French knight in 1096, one about an English Knight in 1346, and one about a German knight in 1525. All three stories are based on actual events. We had fun with this book.
  • Compass and Gunpowder:
    • Fantastic Inventions and Inventors by Zhu Kang -- this book is written in comic book style and we quite interesting.
  • Bubonic Plague
    • The Black Death by Jim Ollhoff -- the information is presented in a way that children can understand
    • Bubonic Plague by Jim Whiting is another book written for children
  • Joan of Arc
    • Joan of Arc by Shana Corey -- I picked up about four books about Joan of Arc that were written for children. They all had good points, but I liked this one best. It is a Step into Reading step 4 book. It has the pronunciations of the French words, which is very helpful.
  • Johann Gutenberg -- these three books have a lot of the same information, but they also have different information, so I decided to read all three.
    • Gutenberg by Leonard Everett Fisher
    • Johann Gutenberg and the Amazing Printing Press by Bruce Koscielniak
    • Breaking into Print by Stephen Krensky
  • Constantinople
    • Istanbul, Once Constantinople by Sue Donovan -- we read pages 7 through 19. It had nice illustrations and easy-to-understand text.

No comments:

Post a Comment