OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, October 13

Evaluation of Set Six

  • Bible -- we are enjoying reading Joel. I really think K. is learning to be a better friend. I can observe that she is putting the lessons into practice watching and listening to her conversations with playmates during park days. She still asks when she can see her kiss.
  • Writing -- we did get the "Laura Ingalls Board Game" finished and we have played it once. It was fun. K. enjoys writing stories, so a few times during this set of weeks my plans were preempted because she wanted to continue writing a story. I don't think that is a bad thing.
  • Spelling -- K. is doing really well with her spelling, dictionary skills, etc. I need to do better with keeping track of miscellaneous words that K. misspells in her writing so I can add them to her regular spelling words.
  • Grammar -- capital letters are frustrating me. K. knows the rules, but doesn't practice them. She will write a whole story without any capitals, or she'll put them in the middle of words, or random words will be capitalized. I am quite sure this is happening because she is concentrating more on what she is writing than "the rules" because if I ask her to "check your capitals" she will go back and make the corrections. So right now, I'm trying not to make a huge issue of capital letters because I'd rather her enjoy writing and make mistakes than do everything correct and hate writing.
  • Reading -- K. has learned the concept of "main idea" well. We were talking about something the other day and she said, "Oh, like the main idea." Yes, it is.
  • Math -- K. is doing so much better with "the triangles" (fact families). Reducing the number to 11 a day, and having the timer set for 2 minutes, with the reward of a sticker did the trick. Now she is trying to get through each day's triangles before the timer changes from "2" to "1".
  • History -- this set of weeks went well because I planned out which pages to cover each day in the books I wanted to read to her. I need that level of accountability. Some days we read more because it was interesting.
  • Science -- I planned which pages of what books to read each day, so that went really well. K. enjoys doing food chains.

No comments:

Post a Comment