OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, February 28

Fourth Grade, Writing, Set One

The first week I started K. on her journal. First, I read some entries from her sister's fifth grade journal. (It really is fun to go back and read it.) The purpose of the journal is to practice cursive handwriting. She doesn't need to write much each day, just a couple sentences, but the difference in the penmanship from the beginning of the year to the end of the year is surprising.

We are enjoying Writer's Workbook. Each week I've been able to get a book from the library that is either the exact story referenced, or a similar story.
  • Tuesday - I read the book/story to K.
  • Wednesday - we complete two pages in the workbook. These pages give direction and usually some type of chart to fill in to guide in writing her rough draft paragraph.
  • Thursday - we go over her paragraph using the questions on the Revising page in the lesson
  • Friday - we edit and proofread her paragraph and K. re-writes (publishes) her paragraph
It has been amazing to see the difference between her rough draft and published paragraphs.

Week Two
  • Gloria Who Might Be My Best Friend (from The Stories Julian Tells by Ann Cameron)
  • Writing an autobiography
Week Three
  • The Boy Who Didn't Believe in Spring
  • Writing a response to fiction (wrote a letter to King)
Week Four
  • Woodchuck at Blackberry Road
  • Writing a summary paragraph
Week Five
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Writing a fiction book review

No comments:

Post a Comment