OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, May 15

Kindergarten, Math, Week 16

Monday we practiced counting to 100 by 10s.
  • I asked K. how many fingers/thumbs she has: 10
  • I have 10 also
  • We hit our hands together and said the next number each time we hit hands.
Tuesday we measured using Centimeters.
  • I said to K. that when we measure we use inches, but in some countries they use centimeters.
  • I had taken a stiff piece of paper and made a centimeter ruler. I decided to make one so that she didn't have to use a ruler with inches on one side and centimeters on the other and so it didn't show millimeters.
  • I told her to pick something. She grabbed the napkin holder and measured it. 18 cm
  • Then I had to find something that measured 18 cm. I tried a book and measured it.
  • Then I picked something to measure and she had to find something that measured the same.
  • This gave practice measuring and estimating.
Wednesday we worked with Weight.
  • I got out the kitchen scale and we measured 1 pound. There were 2 tangerines and a glass with some water in it.
  • Then K. flicked the "More/Less" Spinner. It landed on "Less".
  • She had to find 1 thing that weighed less than 1 lb
  • We measured 1 pound again. There was a saucer and a recipe book.
  • Then I flicked the spinner. It landed on "More".
  • I had to find 1 thing that weighed more than 1 lb.
Thursday we practiced Counting to 50 by 5s.
  • It was Park Day, so on the way to the park each time we say a white car (I let K. pick the color) we counted: 5, 10, 15, 20 . . .  50.
  • It was a fun way to pass the time in the car and we were counting almost the whole time we were in the car -- about 10 minutes.
Friday we played with Capacity -- Liters.
  • I explained that in some countries people don't use cups/quarts/gallons, but they measure with liters.
  • I showed her the liter mark on the reverse side of my 4 cup liquid measuring cup.
  • Then I pulled out other containers. Some bigger, some smaller, some about the same size and asked her, one at a time, if it would hold more, less, or the same amount as the liter.
  • When she wasn't sure we used water and tried it.
  • After doing about 10 containers we started looking at items in the kitchen to notice and read the liter amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment