OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, September 28

Second Grade, Grammar, Set Six

Parts of Speech
  • We used an old reader and underlined the verbs, pronouns, nouns, proper nouns, plural nouns, and adjectives in one story. The story had four pages, so we did one page each day.
Sentence Structure
  • We divided sentences between the subject and the predicate.
  • We added subjects to predicates.
  • We added predicates to subjects.
Usage
  • We learned that 'I' gets used in the subject of a sentence and 'me' is used in the predicate.
  • We completed sentences to avoid using double negatives.
Listening and Speaking Skills
  • Giving an oral book report from an outline
Writing Skills
  • To prepare for writing a descriptive paragraph (she chose to write about chocolate cake), we completed a Word Web and a Senses Chart.
  • We practiced combining sentences that had common subjects or common predicates.
  • I had K. pick two words from her word web and two from her senses chart that were plain, everyday words. We used the thesaurus to find more interesting words to use. For instance, soft was exchanged for spongy.
  • She spent two days writing sentences from the things on her charts. I asked her to write five sentences each day.
  • The next day we looked for sentences that had the same subject or predicate and she combined them into one sentence.
  • She decided on the order her sentences should be in the paragraph, and wrote the paragraph in her best writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment