OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Thursday, May 21

A Word for Journals - April, 2015

I was sorting through old school things, when I came across a Winne-the-Pooh day planner from our 1999-2000 school year. Beth was in fifth grade that year and I bought it for her to use as a journal, for the purpose of practicing her cursive penmanship. 

I opened the journal and started reading. I was transported back to those days. She wrote of going to camp, spending the night at Jessie's house and Jessie spending the night at our house (there was a lot of that!), there was an entry when she was mad at me because I wouldn't let her finish reading a book she had started, waiting for Aunt Beckie to come, spending the day with Grandma, a gift from a cousin, going to the dentist, fights with her sister, things she wanted to tell me, and so much more, a lot that seemed insignificant at the time.

Needless to say, none of it is insignificant. It is a piece of our past that has been preserved in a fifth grader's penmanship.

This year, Kim is journaling each day, just a few sentences in cursive, to improve her penmanship, but more important than that, to preserve this year, her thoughts, our lives. So in 2030 we can sit on the couch reading her journal and saying, "Remember when...."

So, if you don't have your children journaling, I would encourage you to have them start. In ten or fifteen years, they will be priceless travelogues, transporting you to precious memories.

Oh, and yes, just writing a three or four sentences each day, Beth's penmanship did improve over the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment