OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Thursday, May 21

What's The Point? - April, 2013

The school year is beginning to draw to a close, the weather is warming and inside your head the pressure is building to complete your curriculum plans on time. But just take a minute to breath, relax the muscles of your neck and shoulders, and remember why you are at home. Are you there to make sure your child completes the schooling plans you made or to build a relationship so you will have his heart and be able to turn him to the Lord?

If you have read any books by Cynthia Tobias you are probably familiar with her question "What's the point?". That is the question I would encourage you to ask yourself if you begin to cram a bunch of school work into your days. I've been there. I've done that. In fact I almost did it this week. Last Friday we did no school work as we were packing and moving our business. Monday morning I was looking at our schedule and I said to myself, "Instead of fine arts, we can use that time to ..." Thankfully, God reminded me that it is easier to build a relationship when we sit on the couch talking while we crochet than rushing through a new math concept, a science experiment, and a spelling test.

When my older girls (now 25 and 23 years old) say "remember when" I can almost guarantee you that their next words will not be about math, grammar, science, or any other core subject. It will be about time spent together in the kitchen, on a field trip, planning an event, sewing, crafting, or reading.

I just want to encourage you to keep the "fun stuff" in your schedule and instead of stressing over completing the plans you made last summer, stay tuned in to God's plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment