OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Thursday, May 21

Discipleship Through Academics - August, 2013

Wow! It's almost time to begin a new school year. I pray you are excited and ready to start.

I hope you have set one or two goals for your family this year that have nothing to do with academics. Although when we talk about homeschooling, we mostly talk about academics, I believe that academics should not be our main thrust. Over the years I have known a few families whose reason for homeschooling was "to give their children a better education". Most of those families did not last past a couple years as homeschoolers.

So, what do I think our main thrust should be? Discipling our children.

Does discipleship happen through academics? Well, it certainly can, but it depends on your focus. Your focus needs to be on eternity, not the on spelling words or math facts. That doesn't mean that we don't learn the spelling words or math facts, but they aren't our focus or goal, they are part of the path on which we are traveling to our goal.

I read a paragraph in one of Sally Clarkson's books that made me think about whether I was using spiritual goals to accomplish our academics, or using academics to accomplish our spiritual goals. This translates into: Do I use scripture to get my children to do their work, or do I model (and therefore, teach) love, forgiveness, and joy while I explain (again and again and again) that we start each sentence with a capital letter.

I have found that this path our family is traveling grows our trust in our Heavenly Father. I start the year with a plan (that's a good thing), but I need to cling to His plan and not mine. I have the poem Step by Step posted on my bulletin board to help me remember this.


Step by Step
He does not lead me year by year
Nor even day by day.
But step by step my path unfolds;
My Lord directs my way.

Tomorrow's plans I do not know,
I only know this minute;
But He will say, "This is the way,
By faith now walk ye in it."

And I am glad that it is so.
Today's enough to bear;
And when tomorrow comes, His grace
Shall far exceed its care.

What need to worry then, or fret?
The God Who gave His Son
Holds all my moments in His hands
And gives them, one by one.
--Barbara C. Ryberg

No comments:

Post a Comment