OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, March 19

Kindergarten, Math, Week 8

Monday we learned about Coins.
  • I had 25 pennies, 2 nickles, 1 dime
  • I put out 1 penny. How many cents is it? One. I lined 1 penny up across from the penny.
  • I put out 1 nickle. How many cents is it? Five. I lined 5 pennies across from the nickle.
  • I put out 1 dime. How many cents is it? Ten. I lines 10 pennies across from the dime.
  • Then I took a paper with a line down the middle and put different amounts on each side. Like a nickle and 2 pennies on one side and a dime on the other, etc.
  • Which side is more? Sometimes they were equal.
Tuesday we worked with Time.
  • I started at 9:00 and asked K. the time.
  • Then we worked toward 10:00, making 10 stops and asking at each stop, What time is it? What does that mean?
  • Last we discussed that when the minute hand is at the '6' that is 30 minutes, so you can always know that the minutes are 30 when the minute hand is on the 6.
  • K. was wanting to know how many minutes until lunch, so I put the clock to the time (10:50) and asked her when it was lunch time (11:00). I then asked how far the minute hand had to go before it was 11:00, and let her count the minutes (10 minutes). Of course, by the time we were done, it was actually less than 10 minutes.
Wednesday we played with Length and Height.
  • I took a 12-inch and 15-inch ruler and we went to her toy shelves.
  • We measured a bunch of her toys and I explained the difference between length and height a bunch of times.
  • Because we are studying air, I blew up a balloon and we measured around it, drawing a line where we measured, so we can always measure the same place. We are measuring every other day and recording how it decreases in size.
Thursday we worked with Symmetry.
  • I have now cut shapes out of plastic canvas.
  • I made a design on one side of our symmetry work page. K. copied it on the other.
  • Then I did both sides and asked her if it was symmetrical. She had to fix the error.

Friday we wrote Numbers.
  • In writing K. has learned to write 0, 1, 2, and 3.
  • I gave her a sheet of paper with 0, 1, 2, 3 written at the top and asked her what numbers she could make with those numbers.
  • She covered the paper with numbers. She would write the number and I would say it. There were all sorts of numbers, such as: 13, 21, 32, 300, 100000, etc.
  • When I suggested three hundred thirty-three, she wrote: 300 33, so we talked about it being 333.

No comments:

Post a Comment