OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, March 12

Kindergarten, Reading, Week 7

Monday through Wednesday we finished Marty's Monster. The monster is jealousy and starts going away when she prays about it.

Thursday we read the next story in our textbook.
  • Questions included picture reading: What is Grandma doing? What kind of animal is Beck?
  • Interpretive: What trick might mark do?
  • Vocabulary: How could Buck 'swim' in the grass? What is a kid?
  • We also worked on sequence. Joy was first in the kitchen, then she went to the chicken pen, then the tree, then the barn, then the corral, then the goat pen.
  • I had made a paper ahead of time with pictures (from clip art) that represented each location. I put them out of order on the sheet and K. drew a line showing the order Joy went. Another options would have been to cut the pictures out and let her put them in order.
Friday we did an activity from Games for Reading by Peggy Kaye.
  • The activity is called Picture Labels.
  • We looked through an old Ideals magazine for a picture that K. liked and I knew would work well for this activity.
  • I cut it out and glued it on a sheet of construction paper because it was in 2 pieces.
  • I cut a strip off the construction paper for our words.
  • I asked K. what she saw in the picture. As she named things I wrote the words on small pieces of paper and glued them on the picture. Some of our words were: basket, Indian corn, red flowers, white squash, handle, hay, red, black, grapes, apples, green, leaves, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.
  • Don't just do the obvious things, urge your child to see the details.
  • This activity works on improving vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment