OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, March 27

Kindergarten, Math, Week 9

Monday we played a game with the Location Words
  • I had prepared a picture (used clip art) of a room, with things under, on, in, etc.
  • I also had 13 small pictures of objects that could be added to the picture.
  • One of us would turn over a Word Card, find something in the picture that fit the word (the cat is under the couch) and add an object in a location that fit the word (put the book under the rug).
  • I had made some cuts so certain things (rug, door, picture, couch) could have things put under, behind, or in them.
  • K. enjoyed this so much we played it twice.
Tuesday we used the Thermometer
  • I made one out of cardboard with a piece of red that can slide up and down to change the temperature.
  • I said something like, “It is autumn and the leaves are falling from the trees” I put the temperature at 70 and had her tell me the temp.
  • I said, “Now it is winter, and the weather is colder. Will the red line go up or down?” Down. I put the temp at 50 and had K. read it.
  • I said, “Now it is spring and the weather is warmer. Will the red line go up or down?” Up. I put the temp at 74 and had K. read it.
  • After I established that K. understood that up is warmer and down is colder, I quit asking that question and we just went through the seasons a few times with me changing the temp and her reading it.

Wednesday we discussed the Calendar
  • I just took the calendar off the wall and we talked about the days of the week, months, year, etc.
Thursday was Solid Shapes
  • We played Solid Shape Bingo
Friday we had Money
  • We quickly reviewed the value of the penny, nickel, and dime.
  • Then I put some money on each side of a paper and K. told me which was more, or if they were equal.
  • This is helping to introduce the concept of ‘counting on’. She knows the nickel is 5 cents, so she can start with 5 and the go to 6, 7, etc. counting the pennies.
  • At the end I introduced the quarter. We laid out 25 pennies, 5 nickels, and 2 dimes and a nickel.

No comments:

Post a Comment