OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, April 2

Kindergarten, Math, Week 10

Monday we made Patterns.
  • See Math, Week 7, Wednesday
  • I made some patterns that were more difficult, like
    • 1 turkey, 2 pies, 3 pumpkins, 4 hats; what comes next? 5 of some item
    • 1 pie, 2 hats, 1 pie, 2 pumpkins, 1 pie, 2 turkeys; what comes next? 1 pie, 2 of some item
Tuesday we played with Size Words.
  • See Math, Week 7, Friday
  • The egg needed something smaller; the yellow man needed something longer; the nurse needed something larger, the hat box needed something shorter: the clown
Wednesday we wrote Numbers.
  • See Math, Week 8, Friday
  • Now that K. has learned to write numbers 0 - 7, she could write lots of different numbers, and since we had done it before, I didn't need to suggest numbers.
Thursday we Measured with a Cup.
  • We worked at the kitchen sink.
  • I got out the 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 1 cup dry measuring cups and 4 or 5 containers of various sizes.
  • First, I gave the the 1 cup measuring cup and showed her one of the containers. I asked her how many cups she thought it would hold. Then, using water, I let her fill the container and see if she was right. We went through all the containers this way.
  • Next, I showed her the 1/4 cup and asked her how many of them it would take to fill the 1 cup measuring cup. Then I let her see if she was right. We did the 1/3 and 1/2 cup the same way.
  • Last, I told her that these measuring cups aren't really for measuring liquid, but are for dry things like oatmeal and flour and sugar. Then I got out the oatmeal and dumped some in a bowl. I showed her the proper way to measure dry ingredients (leveling off with a knife) and let her practice until she was through.
Friday we measured Length and Height.
  • We have a 4 foot ruler that we used.
  • We went around the house measuring things (including her -- 45").
  • I talked about the difference between length and height and she got pretty good at measuring the correct thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment