OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, April 9

Kindergarten, Writing, Week 11

We worked on numbers 8 and 9 this week.
  • I've decided that I really like the way I arraigned the practice sheets. Each page has 6 lines (you know they have the dotted line in the middle). The first 2 lines have the number we are working on nine times across the page. The second 2 lines have it 6 times with room to write on her own. The third 2 lines have it 3 times with room to write on her own.
  • Each day K. only writes one line of each sheet, so it takes 6 days to complete a page.
For Small Muscle Development:
  • Tuesday we did Pretzel Numbers
    • I make a batch of biscuit dough and we (mostly K.) rolls bits into "ropes" then shapes them into numbers on a baking sheet. Then we bake and eat them!
    • Here's my recipe:
      • 2 cups all-purpose flour
      • 4 teaspoons baking powder
      • 2 teaspoons sugar
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt
      • 1/2 cup shortening
      • 2/3 cup milk
      • 1 egg
      • Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure milk, add egg and whisk together. Make a well in the center; add milk and egg mixture all at once. Stir just till dough clings together. Knead gently on lightly floured surface for 10 to 12 strokes. Make shaped numbers/letters on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for till shapes start to brown. Serve warm.
  • Friday I hid googly eyes in playdoh.
    • Take 30 of the smallest googly eyes and knead them into playdoh so they can't be seen. If you shake the playdoh, you can hear them.
    • Have your child search through the playdoh and pick out the eyes.
    • We've done this twice and K. has thoroughly enjoyed it both times!
For Writing Development:
  • Wednesday our activity was Read Aloud Plus from Games for Writing.
    • Get a book or story that your child hasn't heard before and read it to them.
    • Talk about it as you read
      • I like that part
      • What do you think will happen next?
      • Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment