OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, April 9

Kindergarten, Math, Week 11

Monday we counted to 150.
  • See Math, Week 7, Tuesday.
  • Only this time K. moved the buttons and spools and counted by herself.
Tuesday we worked with Coins.
  • First, we reviewed the value of each coin (penny, nickle, dime, quarter) just to make sure she remembered.
  • Then I took a sheet of paper that was divided in the middle and told K. that I was going to put a coin or coins on one side, and she needed to put coins on the other side that were equal in value. (I used the same paper I use for symmetry. See Math, Week 8, Thursday for a picture.)
  • I did examples to make sure she understood. I put a dime on my side and a nickle and 5 pennies on her side. We also discussed that she could have put 10 pennies or 2 nickles on her side. After a couple examples, I was pretty confident that she understood, so we started.
  • We actually took turns putting the original amount on. Your child has to check to make sure you put the right amount on to equal his coin(s), so they are still figuring it out.
  • We took turns until K. started messing around (showing she was tired of it). Then I said we would each take 2 more turns and be done.
Wednesday we played with Location Words.
  • See Math, Week 7, Thursday
  • This time we used a small plastic egg instead of a stuffed animal.
  • I just stacked the words and we took turns taking the word off the top.
Thursday we reviewed the Calendar.
  • I cut the names of the days of the week from an old calendar and had her put them in order.
    • We talked about 7 days in a week
    • The weekend is what days?
    • The weekdays are what days?
  • I cut the names of the months from the same calendar and had her put them in order.
  • Then we put the months in groups by season.
  • Next, I introduced the poem:
Thirty days hath September
April, June, and November
All the rest have thirty-one…
At least, once February’s done
It’s the one that won’t stay straight
With days that number twenty-eight
Excepting leap year, that’s the time
That February’s days are twenty-nine
  • I didn't remember how the poem ended, so I googled it. If you don't like this one, you'll find 87 variations at LeapYearDay.com.
  • Then we put the month names in groups by number of days.
Friday K. practiced Writing Numbers.
  • Now that she has learned to write all the numbers, she had more fun.
  • K. really enjoys adding zeros (and I like her practicing them). It goes like this:
    • K. writes a 6 -- I say "six"
    • K. adds a 0 -- I say "sixty"
    • K. adds a 0 -- I say "six hundred"
    • K. adds a 0 -- I say "six thousand"
    • K. adds a 0 -- I say "sixty thousand"
    • we got up to 6 billion

No comments:

Post a Comment