OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Saturday, April 9

Kindergarten, Reading, Week 11

Monday
  • We read a poem from the textbook.
  • Then we wrote a couple more verses to the poem.
  • We worked on understanding periods: they come at the end of a complete thought.
    • Sometimes when K. reads she runs right past a period and then takes a breath in the middle of a sentence, making the story sound funny if you aren't looking at the page.
    • I made up a page with short paragraphs (2 - 5 sentences) copied from books. (I learned that you shouldn't use stories she is familiar with because she already knew where the periods should be.)
    • Each paragraph was printed twice. In the first sample, I didn't put periods. In the second sample the periods were where they belonged.
    • I showed K. one paragraph at a time and had her read it. This showed the need for periods so we know what the author is trying to tell us, and we pause at periods.
Tuesday through Thursday
  • We started The Bravest Dog Ever by Standiford. I didn't want to make her read so many pages each day that she was tired of reading. These breaks seem to be just right, as each day she hasn't wanted to stop.
    • Tuesday pgs 5 - 9
    • Wednesday pgs 10 - 15
    • Thursday pgs 16 - 21
  • I took a piece of construction paper and we are writing new words or concepts and their definitions on it. So far we have:
    • frontier
    • lead dog
    • diphtheria
    • mayor
    • relay
  • We also found Nome and Anchorage on a map.
Friday
  • We played Story Words from Games for Reading.
    • The idea is to take any three words and tell a story with them. Instead of just thinking up words, I pulled out an envelope I have that is full of miscellaneous pictures. While K. counted to 5 I had to pick 3 pictures and then tell a short story using those items. Then we switched.
    • This would be a great game to play in the car, too, by picking things you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment