OLD HOMESCHOOLERS NEVER DIE . . . THEY JUST WRITE CURRICULUM


"Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants."

Deuteronomy 32:2

Courses of Study

To view the Course of Study for each grade level, you can click on the "Course of Study" label
or "Search This Blog" for the specific grade level you wish to see.
To date, I have courses of study completed for kindergarten through fourth grades.

Newsletter Articles

In 2013 the Lord started me producing a newsletter for the homeschool group we are a part of. Every other month I write an article on a topic the Lord has put on my heart. I've decided to add these articles to this blog. I hope you will find encouragement through some of my ramblings. You can click on the label "Newsletter" to find the articles.

Sunday, April 24

Kindergarten, Science, Week 13

In this set of weeks we are learning about plants.

Monday we learned about the parts of the Flower.
  • I printed a diagram of a flower 
  • Using a tulip, I dissected it using an x-acto knife so we could find the parts on the diagram
  • K. colored the diagram to match the colors of the tulip
  • A good video to watch is: The Magic School Bus. Goes to Seed: Growing Places with Plants


Tuesday we looked at Leaves, Stems, Roots and Tubers.
  • We picked some leaves and did leaf rubbings.
  • We pulled up some weeds and looked at the different kinds of roots -- some are like webs and some have one main root.
  • We dug a volunteer potato plant out of the compost pile. It had a couple little potatoes (tubers) growing.

Wednesday we looked around our garden for Seeds and fruit.

Thursday we played The Vegetable Game at the grocery store.
  • I copied a list of vegetables and which part of the plant we eat from 365 . . . Experiments.
  • At the grocery store we found the vegetables I let K. guess which part it was that we ate. If she didn't know or guessed wrong we would talk about it so she could understand. I would suggest going to the store early in the morning before there are lots of shoppers.
  • We also planted 8 pinto beans (I bought 1 lb) for experiments in the next few weeks.
  • I poked 4 holes in the bottom of yogurt containers and set them in a clean styrofoam meat tray.
  • Then we went out and filled them with dirt from the compost pile.
  • We brought them back inside, planted the pinto beans, watered them, and set them in the window.

Friday we put one of the potatoes we dug up on Tuesday in a cup of water to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment